Does it happen with you, that your own ‘Past’, time and again, starts banging harshly on your door, in spite of the fact that you have hanged a nameplate showcasing in bold letters the word ‘PEACE’? If your answer to the above question is in affirmative, then no wonder the title of this blog caught your attention and you made a painful attempt to bear with this blog. Nevertheless, if your Past drops in as an uninvited guest, then no need to worry about, because in that case, you are sailing in the same boat in which we all are your co-passengers. Yes, it does happen with each one of us. Our past, all of a sudden, appears in front of us, like a gangster demanding the ‘well-deserved ransom’, on account of permitting us to inhale our next intake of oxygen. Note: Only the negative past is referred to as ‘Gangster’ in this blog. The positive past is indeed an ‘Angel’.
So are you scared of your past? Do you feel depressed because of the past thoughts overpowering your mind? Do you feel helpless at all such times? Do you think of running away from this gangster, in a way, never to be located again? Does this thought ever come to your mind that is there any way out to deal with this gangster? Isn’t there any solution by which we can overcome and ‘Let Go’ our past? As I said that we all are co-passengers, so let us sail together in this journey of the blog and try to find out the answers to all such questions that are stalking our mind since ages.
I tell you this gangster named as ‘Past’ is a shameless fellow; the more one tries to drag it away, the more it will come closer and closer. As a gangster enjoys seeing the people around it as its slave, in the same way, our Past Aka Gangster enjoys ruling over our thoughts. It surely rejoices at our helplessness and pity on our sorrowful condition. Sometimes, I think whether the intention of this gangster behind following us everywhere is to click endless selfies with us or what. Gosh, how can one be so selfies oops selfish with anyone?
I think till now, I am able to successfully portray the picture of ‘Negative Past’ as a ‘Cruel Gangster’ in your mind. Now, the very reason behind addressing this negative past as a ‘Gangster’ is to find out the answers to the countless questions that strike our mind, as and when we encounter our past. Yes, the solution to overcome and let go our negative past lies in the word Gangster. If, while tackling our negative past, we apply the modus operandi of dealing with a real gangster, then it will surely help us in overcoming our past too.
The best way to deal with this gangster is defined in a sequential manner below –
- Firstly, stop getting scared from the gangster. As soon as, we gain the confidence in us that we can face this gangster named The Past, we will be able to challenge it with utmost strength. This is the first step towards our ultimate aim of eliminating any sort of negativity from our life.
- Once we have the confidence to deal with it, the next step is to make our mind ready for accepting our mistakes and embracing the findings from analysing our past. We have to prepare ourselves that we are going to take things in the right sense and conclude the incidences from our past to a logical end, once for all.
- Now, it’s the time for some real action i.e. the right time to face the gangster, on a one to one basis. In this step, we need to sort out every minute thing and the only prerequisite for achieving this is a peaceful mind. We need to question ourselves for the failed relationships, failed attempts, why others are behaving with us in that manner, what is stopping us from getting over our past, all in all, find answers to every such past thing which is a cause of mental disturbance in our present life. We need to question our past with the sole aim of finding the answers to questions like what went wrong, what were our mistakes, what are the learning’s, etcetera.
- Mind it, the above step number 3 is not meant to start sobbing upon our past, rather, it is meant to get over our past thoughts which are haunting us, every now and then. In the above step, we need to find the answers to all our queries that are affecting our present, on account of the happenings in our past. We need to search for ‘Our Answers’ to our past events that appear, time and again, in front of us. Do remember that these are our answers, and as such, they should not be influenced by anyone else’s thoughts, actions, etcetera.
- We need to continue step number 3 and carry on our wrestle with this gangster until the time we are satisfied with our own answers. Till we find satisfactory answers, against the turmoil of thoughts unsettling our mind, this exercise will not end. Once we are satisfied with our answers, “after an unbiased analysis of our past”, we would be able to accept our past and get over our negative thoughts.
Trust me if you deal with this gangster in the above-mentioned way, it would never haunt you again in your life. Do remember, that like a real gangster, our past also doesn’t like anyone standing against it. If we rise against our past, then, slowly and gradually, the past will start disliking us and would one fine day dump us to live on our own. As the time passes, it will vanish from our memories and leave behind only the learning’s for us to embrace. Thus, we will be able to get over with our past events and the only thoughts which will remain in our mind will be the thoughts pertaining to the moments to cherish and the moments to learn from.
I hope you agree with me that there is nothing wrong in at least giving it a try. Let’s see, if we are able to be a good host the very next time our past knocks on our door. Now it’s solely your choice whether or not you want to give it a try because till the time one gets even with their past and settle scores, it is going to haunt them, time and again, and they will end up staying in their past forever.
I wish you all that you are able to get over the past negative thoughts that are ruining your beautiful present. God Bless you all!